|Our school needs your help! Our playground equipment
is old and we need something new to make recess more exciting for all of
our student Kindergarten to 5th grade. Your job is to design a piece
of playground equipment using at least 5 simple machines.
1. You must log onto a computer and click on the following
2. Once you are at the website, begin exploring it to
find out more about simple machines.
3. You may print out the pages ONE PER GROUP.
discuss with your group the ways you think these machines work.
4. After your discussion you will test your knowledge
by searching for simple machines.
Click the following link to
begin this activity: Simple
1. Click on the GREEN box that
says start here.
2. Click on the HOUSE
3. Choose one room to explore.
You will be finding simple machines in the
room you chose. Each room contains 10 simple machines that you
must find and be able to answer questions about that simple machine.
4. When you have found all of
the simple machines in one room, if you
have time, you may choose another room.
GETTING READY FOR YOUR DESIGN:
Assign each person in your group a task:
* The Planner will be in charge of
choosing the best piece of playground
equipment for the school
* The Researcher(s) will be in charge
of simple machine research. Look at
the history of simple machines. What have they been used in before
that may help you with your project.
* The Design Engineer will be in charge
of how you will build the
playground equipment (blueprint)
* You are all in charge of communicating
and working together so your
team comes up with a successful plan to present to the class.
Now you are ready to begin your design.
1. Research the five (5) types of simple
machines you are interested in using
and how they work.
2. Research how a simple machine could be
used to build playground
3. Begin designing the piece of playground equipment.
4. Create a presentation for the class that
will demonstate how your piece
of playground equipment will be fun for all students of our school
and how each of your simple machines work in your piece of equipment.