|Introduction||You will explore and research several of the famous explorers that set out to discover what the "New World" had in store for them.|
||You will be a part of a 4 person exploration team.
Each member will be assigned 2 explorers to research. The explorers
your team will be exploring are Amerigo Vespucci, Juan Ponce de Leon, Hernando
Cortez, Vasco de Balboa, Hernando de Soto, Francisco de Coronado, Henry
Hudson, and Ferinand Magellan.
Each team member will do research on their individual explorers and make recruitment posters for their voyages. Then the team will work cooperatively to create a power point presentation to present their findings. Lastly, the team will work together to create a time line depicting when these famous voyages took place. You will be provided various web sites on each explorer to obtain the information needed.
||1. Each exploration team will
consist of four team members. Each team member will research two
famous explorers from the list below. If team members have difficulty
deciding who will research whom, then the teacher will decide.
Francisco de Coronado
2. Next you will begin your research. Each team member will need to answer each of the following questions about his or her explorers. REMEMBER some questions may have more than one answer! Use the attached worksheet to collect your research.
What nation did he sail for?
When (what year(s) did the voyage(s) take place?
What was the purpose of the exploration?
What did the explorer accomplish?
3. Once you have completed your research on your explorers you will create a recruitment poster. The poster is what you think the explorer would have used to help recruit sailors for his exploration. You will make your poster out of construction paper.
4. When your team has finished researching each explorer you will work together to create a power point presentation. Remember that content is most important in your presentation, not appearance.
5. Finally when your team has finished the power point presentation the team will need to create a horizontal time line. You can use the ReadWriteThink time line maker to make your time line. It must be done and printed at one sitting, because there is no way to save your work.
6. Just like any great exploration your exploration team must present your findings. You will present your power point presentation, recruitment posters, and your time line. Each member of the team must take part in the presentation.
||Each team member will be evaluated on his or her contribution
to the the project as a whole. The attached rubric
explains how the evaluation will occur.
In addition to the rubric above, each team member will be evaluated by his or her teammates. This evaluation is based on your participation in the group activities. Each team member will score their team members and the teacher will use the evaluations to determine the overall participation score. Attached is the participation rubric.